Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 12

Began the day with some Yomo yogurt (thanks to Eleanore for the tip) which is some addictingly-good brand of Italian yogurt (sorry no picture).

For lunch, went back to Il Punto Gusto. The name means "the right spot" - which couldn't be more fitting. This place has the most delicious things for lunch. Today, I had an arancini (risotto cake) with cheese and spinach - they are lightly fried and the risotto that they are made with is really flavorful! I'm sure I'll be eating a lot of these this semester, they are just absolutely scrumptious. Then, I also had to have the same tomato-croustini thing again. I found out they are called "frizelle." The tomatoes here come from the south and from Sicily and are always so, so good - like later-summer tomatoes in the US. I can't get over that they are this good all year round in northern Italy! Couldn't be better!


Quick snack of cracker with nutella (for those who know I don't like chocolate, yes, I know that nutella is chocolate and yes, I like it).


Went over to Forni, which is the all girls studentato (Italian equivavlent of a dorm, really more like an apartment) where I ate some delish food. Reni and Leah made quesadillas (here called piadini) with pancetta, onion, pepper and cheese. So nice to have a little variation from Italian food - as wonderful as it has all been - and these totally hit the spot (bad iPhone pic, sorry)!

Reni's roommate had made some really good ricotta and spinach tart thing (you know the Italians, just whipping up some spinach ricotta tart for dinner like its nobody's business). We were lucky enough to get to try some!


Get ready for some fabulous pictures for tomorrow's post (meaning what I ate today, though I'll warn you the friselle will be there again). I went to the Mercato delle Erbe this afternoon and got some beautiful fresh produce that we're cooking up tonight. I had this amazing moment when I was buying some kale today. Usually, when I buy Tuscan kale in the US, say at Whole Foods, it is Tuscan Kale that has been grown in Mexico or something. Here, when I buy Tuscan Kale, it is actually from Tuscany! Ahhhh so exciting!!!