Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Day 18

So this morning in class we went on a field trip into the hills surrounding Bologna (totally picturesque and only 15 minutes outside of the center of town) and saw a memorial from the Italian Resistance during WWII. After standing in the freezing cold rain for about an hour (it hasn't been sunny in Bologna except for one day - its just been rain, rain, and more rain), of course we were fed and served hot tea. Would the Italians have it any other way? I think not. Just some cookies and bread, but still...


For lunch, back to Osteria dell'Orsa. This place is great I wish I could just bring the whole place with me back to the U.S. and have them open up shop down the street from me. I ordered one of the daily pasta specials, this was strozzaprete (a twisted pasta literally meaning "the strangled priest") with sausage, prosciutto and mushrooms in a cream sauce. Yummy!


For dinner, made some chicken sandwiches with toasted bread, mayo, arugula, tomato and some lemon chicken that I just seared in a pan. Pretty delicious. Nice to have chicken for a change since we don't seem to eat it often here. The chicken they sell here, and I just picked this up at the little supermercato down the street, is really flavorful - much better than the average chicken back home. Also made one of my favorite Italian (or at least I've heard it is) broccoli preparations, with garlic, red pepper and lemon. Simple and really good.