Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 14

So, quite the food day today. For lunch went back to Osteria dell'Orsa and had some gnocci - the pics are on Lizzie's camera so when I get those I'll post them.

But later, we had the first in a series of cooking lessons at the home of Rita Mattioli - a chef who offers cooking lessons in her apartment in Bologna. ECCO set up the lesson for us and it was fantastic. For this first lesson, we made biscotti (well, Reni, Alessandra and I helped Rita) and then we all went to the kitchen where she prepared a simply delicious meal!


Here is Rita in her beautiful kitchen stirring a huge pot of polenta.


We first ate the polenta soft with a sauce of pancetta and pork. So good - rich, creamy, incredibly flavorful - literally melted in your mouth. It was accompanied by this wonderful cheese called squacqueronce (try pronouncing that one) which I loved - like a more flavorful, thicker sour cream or creme fraiche and helped balance out the richness of the sauce.


Then she made us another amazing dish - this one with veal and peas in a tomato sauce.


This was accompanied by more polenta which she poured over this wooden board and let harden a little. She then cut it with string from beneath. It was soooo good!


And some beautifully cooked vegetables including cauliflower, broccoli, artichokes, potato and more.


And for dessert, the biscotti (really good and easy to make, I'll try and post the recipe) and tiramisu - I don't like chocolate but I heard words like "best thing ever" and "I didn't know food could get this good" - I mean just look at the picture.


Rita was so great to work with and I'm so excited for more lessons and eating. This was some of the best food we've had since in Italy - not surprising since anyone will tell you the best food in Italy is made at home. It was such a treat to get to cook and eat with Rita! This is really what food is all about in this country.