Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 29

Started off the day with some eggs and toast. What could be better than that?


Then my grandparents came in for the weekend. It was great to have them here and I tried to show them some great food in the city - which is never hard to do. The evening they arrived we went to Osteria la Traviata (Via Urbana, 5) which is known for its pasta, which of course was excellent. I ordered pasta with potatoes and sausage in a cream sauce. It was rich and creamy and had a lot of flavor packed in. My grandfather had the classic tagliatelle bolognese, which was very good. It's amazing how deeply flavored this sauce can be - really something unique. My grandmother had pasta with artichokes and cream - also delicious (not pictured).

For the secondi, I ordered roasted baby pig, which was good. My grandmother got veal cutlets with mushrooms in what was essentially a gravy, and my grandfather had grilled lamb chops. We all agreed the meat was good but nothing amazing - best to stick with the pasta here. Also, a side of mixed vegetables.


The dessert, however, was fantastic. Exactly what I like about Italian desserts, not to sweet, simply made and focusing on good ingredients instead of advanced techniques. I had a simple sweet mascarpone with wonderful fresh strawberries.


My grandmother had tiramisu, which she said was fantastic.


And my grandfather had apple cake, which was moist and apple-y and delicious.


More great meals tomorrow!

Until then,

Will