Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 34

For lunch today we went back to Cafe Opera e Tulipani. I really like this place, the atmosphere is very relaxing/a nice place to sit, the music is good and the food is good. I had a sandwich with homemade bread, arugula, cheese, eggplant and mortadella. Then, we had to get a little dessert so I had this lemon cream thing that was light and very tasty.

Then, back to Rita's for a cooking lesson! Of course, I only have goo things to say about these, they are by far one of my favorite parts of being in Bologna. Today, we made the classic pasta bologonese, and we made the pasta by hand, rolling it out with long pins and letting the dough dry, as you can see in this picture.


For the vegetarians, she made it with asparagus, tomatoes and cheese. It looked delicious!


For the rest, we made bolognese sauce to put over it. This sauce was amazing! As anyone will tell you, there is no one recipe for this sauce, every family has their own. For this one, we used pancetta, sausage and ground beef, as well as red wine and tomato. It was incredibly delicious, with a real depth of flavor. I could eat this every day.


Then we made breaded pork cutlets with lemon (yum!) and the best salad ever. The salad had lettuce, blood oranges, fennel, raisins, soft Tuscan pecorino cheese, pinenuts and a simple dressing. It was amazing, and I was lucky enough to get to take some home!


For dessert, we made flan, which was super tasty, though I wasn't able to eat much because I was so full from everything else (I'll admit I had more than one serving of just about everything, it's impossible not to here).

Leah, this is for you: