Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day 59

So I headed to Rome today to meet three friends coming to visit me from Wesleyan, Sarah, Willis and Molly, who I will traveled around Italy with for a little over a week. Our first stop was Rome, a city that is having an increasingly large influence over food in the U.S. Besides being home to some of the greatest monuments of the ancient world, this city holds some of the best food in Europe. While I can't say that I had some of the best food in the world for lunch at the train station, I did have some pretty solid pasta with ragu at one of the surprisingly good cafeteria like restaurants at the station:


For a quick snack, I picked up some pizza at a little pizza place on the side of the road. As is traditional in Rome (and at times in other Italian cities), the pizza is cut in squares and folded over to eat on the go, and is priced by weight. I had some pizza with potato, sausage and rosemary that was surprisingly delicious. The potatoes added a creaminess to the pizza when you bit into it, and the sausage, rosemary and the dough were all very flavorful.


Then, for dinner, we found a restaurant near Piazza Navona (sorry, I don't have the name). We ordered a fried artichoke to start. Basically, they take the entire artichoke and deep fry it in olive oil, making the out leaves crispy and the inner part perfectly cooked. This is a traditional dish in Rome, especially in the Jewish section.


After that, I got some homemade pasta that had tomato, broccoli and cheese. The pasta was well cooked and had the perfect bite, and the dish was really good.