Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 74

Today, we had another fantastic lesson with Rita. We are now on the "advanced" level with classes "part 2." We started off today with one of my favorite Italian dishes ever, potato gnocchi. It always surprises me how easy gnocchi really are to make. Here is part way through the process, right before we mix the riced potatoes with the flour (yep, it's a little like those play-dough hair maker things).


These ones were made with spinach and covered in a creamy, delicious gorgonzola cream sauce. I think I ate three bowls of these... oh well, when there is a big bowl of fresh, hand made, cream and cheese covered gnocchi sitting right in front of me, how can I not? It was just that good.


For secondi, we made a traditional B0lognese summer dish: stuffed zucchini. These were stuffed with a mixture of ground mortadella and prosciutto (I know, brilliant, right?) and then baked with a freshly made tomato sauce.


Also some delicious, whole grain bread.


For dessert, torta della nonna, what is cream pie, Italian style. This is amazing, thick cream in a buttery crust with pine nuts. I had this once with strawberry jam which was really good and which I would love to try making some time.