Friday, March 19, 2010

Recipe: Penne al Pino

So a couple of people have asked me for the recipe for Penne al Pino (from Day 53). I originally ate this dish at a small restaurant in Tuscany when I was here with my family in 2004. I think the restaurant that I ate it at just named it that after the cook or something, since I haven't been able to find an actual recipe for this dish. What I make is simply my attempt to come as close as possible to the original. While I have tried to make it many times in the U.S., often with very good results, I have come closest while here in Italy because of an ingredient that isn't available in the U.S. (as far as I know) that is quite common here: panna. Panna is just packaged, condensed cream that is used all the time here because it is easy, delicious, and gives pasta the perfect creaminess. Here is a picture of when I had it in 2004 (yes, I even documented my eating adventures back then):


And here it is when I made it last week:


I think they're pretty close. Anyways, here is my best attempt at the recipe. I've never made it with exact measurements, so be sure to adjust to your tastes. Also, adding something like peas, onions, sausage, mushrooms, etc... would all be delicious, but here is the basic recipe. If anyone tries it, please leave a comment and let me know how it goes. Happy cooking!

PENNE AL PINO
Serves 4

1 lb. penne pasta
1 cup pancetta (or bacon) cut into small cubes
2 cups heavy cream (or panna, if available)
1 teaspoon saffron threads
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping

To make sauce, cook pancetta in a saucepan until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving some of the cooking fat. To the fat, add the cream and slowly heat, leaving on a low simmer. When the cream is hot, add the saffron and let simmer on low until the cream has slightly thickened and the saffron has completely flavored the sauce. Add back the pancetta, along with the parmesan cheese, and stir until the cheese has melted. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.

Cook pasta according to the package. Drain pasta and add the sauce to the pasta and let stand for one minute before serving, with more parmesan on top.