Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 100

Wow, it's amazing that we've reached 100 days! Is there a more perfect way to celebrate 100 days than by having a perfect spring day with perfect spring food?

Started off today with a panino of prosciutto from Eataly that I ate in Piazza Garibaldi, a really nice park in the center of Bologna.


When I got home, I needed a little snack. While the Italians might be a little upset for me for making such a thing, I made a pasta panino, taking the leftover ricotta and mushroom pasta from last night and grilling it between bread. I have to tell you, it really was pretty good. While a little on the carb-heavy side, the pasta added a lot of moisture and helped substantiate the sandwich. Weird? Yes. Still good? Yes as well.


For dinner, I went to Mercato delle Erbe and picked up some beautiful, vibrant green fava beans - first of the season.


I prepared them by blanching them, sauteing them with some pancetta, then adding fresh mint, lemon and arugula. I put that over toasted bread and topped it all off with a perfect poached egg. During spring, I can't think of anything better.