Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 89

Started the day out by making a pasta dish from some leftovers I had. I took the rest of the parmesian bread I had and made breadcrumbs out of it, which I fried up in a little olive oil and garlic slices until it was crispy. I mixed that with some pasta, along with gran-padano cheese and mozzarella cheese and some pepper flakes. Think of it as a twist on mac and cheese. It was really, really good.


Then, it was off to Paris for the weekend. Of course, as soon as I landed, I could already smell the baguettes and pastries (well, I thought I could). After checking into our hostel, we walked around the neighborhood (we were in Montmartre) and found the most wonderful restaurant, Le Progres (7 Rue des Trois Frères, 75018 Paris, France‎ - 01 42 64 07 17‎). We choose it because it was bustling with locals and looked to have some pretty tasty food. There were only two waiters, both very friendly, who carefully navigated the packed tables doing tricks with the bottles of wine over their shoulders, and were more than happy to speak to us in English. The scene had sleekly dressed young people at the bar, older couples out on dates, big mirrors and French posters on the walls, cramped tables (in the best way), and the Black Eyed Peas blasting. To me, at least, it felt overwhelmingly Parisian... and I loved it. Mark and I both ordered the duck confit, which was out of this world. The duck meat with incredibly tender and flavorful, with a crispy, delicious skin. It was served along a heaping pile of thin sliced little potatoes cooked with bacon and herbs. The picture really doesn't do it justice. Just absolutely delicious. Oh, and some baguette, the first flavorful bread I've had in about four months.


For dessert, we split some creme brulees that were equally delightful. As you can see, Solveig and I managed to finish a little faster than Mark and Leah.