Monday, April 19, 2010

Day 98

Today was a rainy day in Bologna, but I decided to go for a walk anyways. One of Bologna's (many) benefits is that most of the sidewalks are covered in beautiful porticos, pictured here.


I can walk the 20 minutes from my apartment to the other side of the city where I wanted to visit almost completely covered by the porticos (for those of you who know me well, yes of course I still had my umbrella and used it when crossing the street...)!

Went into a little cafe assuming I would just get some tea, but they had the most delicious looking panino sitting right there, so I decided to order it. The cafe had some outdoor seating (under the portico, so no problemo there mio amico) and the barista told me he would heat the panino up and bring it to me outside. I ordered the tea too, which came with cookies (!). Can't beat that for an little "afternoon snack." How cute is that?


For dinner, some people had organized an a little outing to a restaurant they'd been wanting to try, Grassilli (Via dal Luzzo, 3). This is a cute, warmly decorated restaurant serving some great Italian food with a slight French influence (from what I understand the chef is French but lives here with his Italian wife). They brought us some mortadella and parmigiano to start.


For my dinner I ordered garganelli, a tube pasta similar to penne, with prosciutto and spugnole, which the waiter told me were a type of spring mushroom. The pasta came in a very light cream sauce, delicate and flavorful. The spugnole, to my surprise, were morel mushrooms, a wonderful spring mushroom just bursting with flavor that I was so happy to see (and eat).


Now, usually I'm not a dessert person, but sometimes I simply must. There was, sitting by our table the entire night, the most beautiful looking tarte tatain (French for apple tart, clearly from the chef's French background). I ordered some along with Solveig - it was creamy, sweet, flavorful, apple-y, and so much more. One of the best pastries I think I've ever had. Worth going to this restaurant just for that!